Unbiased Financial Coaching
No B.S. financial advice for those unwilling
to settle for an ordinary life
We Help develop healthy financial habits through delivering direct, comprehensive, and unbiased advice to increase your savings rate, pay down debt, and reduce your stress around money
During this one-on-one session with a financial planner, you will jump start your finances as you work through developing a crisis-resistant budget, organize your documents and establishing your big life goals.
Our Corporate Workshops help reduce financial stress in the workplace by giving your employees applicable tools and techniques. Reducing stress improves morale and productivity by decreasing presenteeism.
The most important time for financial literacy is when you are just entering the workforce. During this one-on-one session, you will be given tools and resources to help you navigate during your financial journey.
You are someone who wants to live a full life, not spend your days passing time on the couch.
You take life by the horns and are not afraid to go after what you want. Even if that means making some sacrifices along the way.
You value others and care about making your community a better place for all neighbours.
What our Client’s are Saying
"Russ and Kevin are a wealth of knowledge. They helped me better understand my personal finances, educated on saving and investment tips, and explained everything in an easy/understandable way. If you need help, want guidance, or looking to how to better your finances, Russ and Kevin are your guys."
– David He
"We have been to several financial advisers in the past but we both tend to glaze over as they ramble off a bunch of financial jargon and we leave more confused than when we went in. Russ has been amazing at helping us understand easy ways we can save money and pay down debt. You can tell he cares and understands how the younger generations' lifestyle differs from previous generations, and his advice is realistic."
– Sean & Sarah Young
"What a refreshing look at a kind of scary topic. Thanks for simplifying the personal finances discussion, and sharing ideas for improving my portfolio."
– Colleen Obleman
"What a refreshing look at a kind of scary topic. Thanks for simplifying the personal finances discussion, and sharing ideas for improving my portfolio.""Russ has helped my fiancée and I decipher our current financials and gave us some insight into our investments and the fees we actually pay. Friendly, professional, and knowledgeable!"
– Jay Bilyk
"I've continued to have great experiences with Kevin over the last year or so with him helping me with financial advice. He is very professional and knowledgeable and isn't afraid to give me "real" advice that is the best for me."
– Leah Semel
Have a Chat with Us
If you’d like to chat further with us about working together, all you you have to do is decide which one of us you’d like to have your initial conversation with!
Using the integrated booking tool below, find a time that works for you, and a meeting will automatically be created with Russ or Kevin. Once the meeting has been set, we will follow-up with you to confirm the location.
Looking forward to chatting further!
When not spending his time helping clients hack their way to financial freedom, Kevin is a big believer of living life to the fullest and values experiences over material goods. He is a born and raised Calgarian and proud Canadian.
Some of Kevin’s favourite activities include:
- Traveling the world, with a current country count of 33 after visiting New Zealand in January 2018.
- Racing in triathlons, with a goal of completing the Ironman Canada in Whistler in July 2018.
- Tracking and quantifying his way to an optimal life with many tools and spreadsheets.
Book with Kevin
Russ is one of those odd balls who loves numbers, spreadsheets, and dungeons & dragons! “Good things come in threes,” he says! Russ is also a husband and a father to a very happy two year-old and a very, very new baby.
A little more about Russ:
- After a bad experience with a financial advisor, he knew there had to be a better way to help people with their money which led him into a career in financial planning.
- He loves local, craft beer and after a fun year of brewing and taste testing he decided to leave it to the experts.
- His latest hobby is baking. For his son’s 2nd birthday party, he was inspired by Momofuku Milk Bar’s Birthday Cake. Making a version with his own small tweaks turned out to be a crowd please. The birthday boy was especially pleased.
Book with Russ
Frequently Asked Questions
We believe in complete transparency and honesty in our services. Below are answers to some of the most common questions we receive here at Finovo.
How can a financial coach help me?
A quality financial coach can help you:
- Develop a clear and actionable plan to help you achieve your financial goals
- Push you to take action and hold you accountable
- Answer questions, resolve fears, keep you on track during the ups and downs in the market
- Save you time
- Help you reduce debt, cut expenses and/or improve overall investment returns
- And sometimes even ensuring that you do nothing when nothing is the right thing to do
What questions should I ask a financial coach/planner?
- What services do you offer?
- How are you compensated?
- How much do you charge for your services?
- Who is your ideal client?
- What makes your style distinct?
- Will I be working with you, or a variety of people?
- What Financial certifications do you have?
- How often would we be in contact?
How is Finovo paid?
We operate under a fee-only model, which means our only source of revenue is you, our client. We do not take any commissions from selling products or referral fees for sending you to partners.
Will Finovo always put their clients interests first?
Everyone at Finovo has signed a Finduciary Oath which formalizes our commitment to always put our clients interests ahead of our own. This means clients interests will always come first and there will never be any conflicts of interest in the advice provided.
I don't live in Calgary, can I still hire someone from Finovo?
We are happy to offer virtual financial coaching services to all of our clients. This means we can work with anyone in Canada, and you can work with us from the comfort and convenience of your own home.
What are some warning signs of a financial planner I should avoid?
- Makes promises that sound too good to be true (ex: high return with no risk)
- Offers guaranteed return
- Does not have any recognized designations (CFP, Level One Certified or CFA)
- Constantly trying to sell you products instead of offering advice
- Uses big words, offers complex solutions and/or tries to confuse you and make finances sound super complex
- Encourages the use of risky strategies like leveraged investments or remortgaging your home to invest
- Tries to recruit you to become a Financial Planner as well as invest with them
- Does not provide a written agreement or engagement letter that outlines the services that will be provided